Logo

anyine got an easy way to flush a p/s system of water?

stang32

Regular Contributor
i have a boat that took on a lot of water due to a broken bilge pump, it got up to the top of the p/s pump. the system has quick connects on the steering rack so that may make things easier. anyone have any success with flushing this systme out that doesnt involve major surgery?

If the water was that high your starter, battery cables and alt are done for. Remove the drive and drain the water from the bellow and grease the gimbal bearing.

Now to service the pump remove the low pressure return line from the pump . Place in container. Start engine and add fluid to the pump until is comes out the normal Red clean color at the low pressure hose. Once normal reattach low pressure hose.

If the water was that high your starter, battery cables and alt are done for. Remove the drive and drain the water from the bellow and grease the gimbal bearing.

Now to service the pump remove the low pressure return line from the pump . Place in container. Start engine and add fluid to the pump until is comes out the normal Red clean color at the low pressure hose. Once normal reattach low pressure hose.

yeah, i know, the fact is, the water came into the bilge in under 1 hour due to a broken hose clamp on the lower fitting on the manifold then the bilge pump was clogged so it was working but not pumping, like a perfect storm. it happened in lake water so im hoping we got the water out fast enough to withstand any long term issues. the alternator did not get affected but i think pulling the drive and checking the bellows for water will be the next move, the gimbal bearing is sealed, non greaseable but if there is water in the bellows, i may change it out to be safe.

So, from now on you'll be checking your fittings and pumps more frequently, right? I highly recommend using a Water Witch as your bilge switch. Has no moving parts, cannot jam or clog and will detect as little as 1 inch of water.
https://waterwitchinc.com/bilge-switches/

You can also wire one into a horn that will wake up the dockmaster (or anyone else) if it detects high water.

If you want to go even further, it's possible to get text messages when there are problems on board. You need a PC, an NMEA gateway and wifi at the dock. Can be done for under $1000. If you use the OpenCPN chartplotter on your PC, you can get interface modules that will let you monitor anything from your Radar to engine performance to tankage, bilge pumps etc. Also can send yourself or others texts, email, etc about emergencies. Also if you have connectivity on the water you can get all sorts of plug-ins that can do almost anything. Even has AIS transponder ability. Check it out, it's fabulous.

Last edited:
Back