Logo

1988 Johnson GT175 Flywheel Magnets

jtecker

I've been having sneezing and missing issues. I could see a magnet was loose so I pulled the flywheel. Three of the six magnets were loose and they all shifted the same direction and are lumped together. There is now a gap of almost 2" with no magnet. One of the loose magnets has a sizable chunk out of one corner and another of the loose magnets has a much smaller chunk out of one corner. The question is, if I properly re-glue these magnets to the flywheel in their correct position will those missing chunks cause firing issues? I'd upload a picture but for some reason the site won't upload the file. File size might be too big.

Make sure you clean the surfaces before reglueing. I had a similar issue. I still had a few magnets intact and indexed them with a sharpie which assured the others were in the correct location when I glued them all back. I actually used sharpie markers to space the magnets. It was a tight fit and really pressed the magnets into the flywheel while the glue set. I have also heard people use fuel line as spacers. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back