Logo

fuel pump?

I just got a 89 Evinrude te60tlcea. I took all 33 carbs off and soaked, cleaned with carb cleaner and blown out with air. Compression is between 120-125 in all 3 cylinders. Took it out 1st time last weekend. It starts and idles well also runs higher speeds well except that after a minute or so of running it starts to sputter like it running out of fuel. I can pump primer or hit key choke and it keeps running. Back in driveway now and I can squeeze primer bulb till it's tight and don't see any fuel or hear any air leaks. It has had the vro disconnected. Would this be a fuel pump issue? I was think ing possible hole or tear in diaphram in fuel pump

If the diaphragm were holed you wouldn't be able to pump the primer up hard because gas would go through the hole and into the crankcase.

Hows the hose going from the fuel pump diagram to the cylinder. That's what make the fuel pump work. It's gotta have good connection with no leaks or cuts in the hose.

I am having a similar problem on my 1984 J 140. Tried other pumps, checked compression, no blowback through carbs, so Im thinking of using an electric fuel pump.

The PRESSURE operated pumps are ultra simple and reliable.----In my opinion there is no need to go electric.-----Look into issues with crankcase compression if pump will not work.----Look into issues with fuel line and pick up tube in the tank,.

The PRESSURE operated pumps are ultra simple and reliable.----In my opinion there is no need to go electric.-----Look into issues with crankcase compression if pump will not work.----Look into issues with fuel line and pick up tube in the tank,.

No argument about the simplicity of the pulser pump, but I have exhausted all other options, and Im not about to tear apart a good running motor to check crank seals as that is the only thing I can think of that may not be allowing the pump to pump enough fuel. I have ran the engine from a remote tank to eliminate internal tank and pickup issues. I checked compression and it is between 120 and 130 cold on all 4. I get no blowback through the carbs with my hand over the inlets, so I believe the reeds are sealing. I put a compound gauge in the port on the side of the block to read crankcase pressure and vacuum, and ran th emotor. I couldnt tell you what it reads, but it jumps rapidly between pressure and vacuum. I tried a compound low side refrigeration gauge too, but I think the scale on that is too large, as I could barely see the needle move at all. Im not sure what else I an do at this point. I was told by an engine shop in Tampa I may need dual fuel pumps, but their setup is like 250.00 ish and Im not sure that would solve my issue. Ive got a marine electric pump plumbed in right now, and I need to put the boat in the water and see how it does. Running about 3 psi at idle now going thru electric then pulsar pump. I tried bypassing the pulsar but it made no difference in the pressure. NOt sure how this will end up. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Back