Logo

1972 Chrysler 55hp Ignition Coils Failing

Fabuglas

I have a battery, points ignition system. 2 can coils, one for each cylinder. It seems I'm replacing one about every year in a climate with a very short boating season. Although the primary and secondary resistance readings are within spec, the coil cases crack and they operate intermittently before failing all together.
Not a big undertaking to replace them but they are expensive. Anyone have experience with failing can coils on this motor. Is there an aftermarket coil that's less expensive like from a tractor supply store?

I'm not sure how it's done but you can change the ignition system over to an automotive coil.
Some one might be able to add the procedures??
Look on u-tube?

Hello,

I have a brief ownership of a 1980 Chrysler 45hp outboard, it is gorgeous, Google it; anyway, I only have two cylinders and two of those dreaded coil packs. I have installed one on each cylinder since the boats restoration last summer, summer 2021. This year, after the fuel line rotted away and was replaced, I noticed, while looking under the cowling, that the bottom coil is cracked. The spark is weak on the bottom cylinder. I had the points cleaned and it fired real nice and ran after. Any way, when I bought the boat, the coils were cracked, the replacement NOS coils were shipped with low resistance readings, thus needing to be returned/replaced, and now after going on the lake about 10-15 times, the coil has cracked. My point: I feel your pain. We need to sell our boats, or sell the outboard and replace it with Johnson, Evinrude’s, or maybe a Merc.. these coils are about $400? You never know when you’ll be stranded on the water one day, too, with this crud : (

Back