Logo

1987 225 Evinrude cranks but no spark

Crowebars

I've asked this question on a different forum but thought I'd check here hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a 1987 225 Evinrude which has run fine with good compression and have replaced the powerpacks, stator and voltage regulators in the last couple years with CDI components. Motor ran fine when I winterized it. I tried to start it the other day after winterizing last fall on a fully charged battery. It cranked fast but wouldn't start. I attached a spark tester and set the gap to 1/8 inch and nothing. I tried all 6 cylinders with no spark on any of them. I tried troubleshooting per CDI Troubleshooting guide. I pulled all of the plugs per their instruction for the test to get it really cranking fast!
I pulled the yellow/black kill wires at the power packs - still no spark. I pulled the yellow wires from the stator to the regulator/rectifier - still no spark (I put the yellow wires back on from the stator to regulator after the test). Below are the CDI test Specs and below that are my results. I don't have a DVA adapter so those values are N/A.

Values according to CDI

WIRE | READ TO | RESISTANCE | DVA (Connected) | DVA (Disconnected)
Brown | Brown/Yellow | 950-1100 (35 Amp) | 150-400 V | 150-400 V
White | Purple | 15-50 | 0.6 V + | 0.6 V +
White | Blue | 15-50 | 0.6 V + | 0.6 V +
White | Green | 15-50 | 0.6 V + | 0.6 V +

Values from my 1987 225 Evinrude (resistance tests set to Ohms with engine static. Voltage tests set to AC with engine cranking and spark plugs removed) Port and starboard refer to the two power packs as the 1987 225 uses 2 power packs. One for port side and one for starboard.

WIRE | READ TO | RESISTANCE | DVA (Connected) | DVA (Disconnected)
Brown | Brown/Yellow | Port 915 Strbd 902 | N/A | Port 134 Strbd 135 (average)
White | Purple | Port 41.9 Strbd 42.2 | N/A | Port 120 Strbd 130 (average)
White | Blue | Port 41.2 Strbd 41.9 | N/A | Port 120 Strbd 125 (average)
White | Green | Port 42 Strbd 42.2 | N/A | Port 120 Strbd 125 (average)

According to CDI I was supposed to get 0.6 volts for the White/Purple, White/Blue and White/Green test while cranking the engine? I was getting around 120v to 130v. Either I tested incorrectly, or something is not right???

Even the Brown/Brown-yellow wire test were a little low?

If I understand correctly, the Brown/Brown-yellow wire test is for the charge coils on the stator for the ignition, The White/Purple, White/Blue and White/Green test are for the timer base? The resistance numbers were all within spec. The cranking tests for voltage were not, but again, I may have done something wrong. I set the multimeter to volts ac, maybe I should have used a different setting? 120 volts is way more then 0.6!!

FYI – I pulled the flywheel and checked the magnets and flywheel trigger magnet location. The magnets appear to be in good shape. The trigger location is still where it should be. The stator looked good and no damaged wires or anything else was observed.

Any ideas of where I should go next? Should I buy another timer base? It is the only electrical item I haven’t replaced in the last couple years? I feel like I’m missing something? What went bad while it sat the last couple months? I do have another working power pack I can try?

I can include any pictures if it helps.

Thanks in advance!!

try a hot battery and plugs out and retest
I picked up another battery, and have done all tests to date without the plugs in per CDI troublesooting guide. It's spinning fast when cranking.
I'm not sure what else to check. I thought about just buying parts and putting them on until something works. I have 1 extra power pack and was thinking about getting a new timing base trigger as it is still original. I got my DVA adaptor today so I'll try retesting and see if something new shows up. Thanks for reading my post.

UPDATE

I installed a new stator and timer base and still no spark. I finally tired a backup power pack on the port side and got spark! I swapped it to the starboard side and got spark. I tested the other power packs again and they are still dead. I would have never guessed both power packs would have died over the winter. I didn't even have the battery in the boat? I put another new power pack in tonight and it purrs like a 225 horse 2 stroke kitten.

At lease I have a backup stator and timer base. I'm just glad to be running again!!

Back