Logo

559h9l

olddaddy75

I have a 1979 559H9L Chrysler outboard. Flywheel key was sheared when I got it, repaired that, now runs fine. At idle speed, boat will move. Under power, will not. No gear clash, must be slipping between power head and lower gear case. Is there a key on the power head end of the driveshaft?

Try another prop.-----The hub in the prop might be slipping.----There might be a shop in Wisconsin that can help with this.

Last edited:
I can turn the engine over by turning the prop. I don't have another prop, and I think these are unique to Chrysler, and might be a waste to buy another one if that is not the problem. I might just buy another used motor and start all over with new problems.

There's nothing(no other keys) other than the prop needing a hub that can make it slip.
Scribe a line on the hub, go for a ride , check the line to see if it has moved????

Yes, the prop is slipping. I pressed the hub out of it, drilled and tapped 3 places in the prop, dimpled the brass core, installed 3 set screws into the brass core. Hopefully that will hold it. Thanks for the tip.

There's no one I know that can spin the hub by hand when it's bad.

The reason for the rubber is to save the metal shafts and other components.
The hub spins before the prop shaft, drive shaft, and crank breaks.

There are some racing props, solid hub, usually brass.

Back