Logo

88 GT150 Fuel Issues

Dalton25

I'm stumped on this and would love some insight! 88 GT150 that came on an 88 Ranger that I purchased recently. Engine had an electric fuel pump installed and didn't run when I got it (I didn't even try it). I pulled the elec fuel pump off and replaced it with an eBay pulse style fuel only pump (the stacked double pump setup). Pulled all 3 carbs and rebuilt with OEM carb kits (they were pretty clean). Compression is good (previous owner had it tested by a mechanic); it has spark (plugs are not surface gap like the manual calls for, though); getting fuel to the bowls and the plugs are getting fuel.

Trying to fire it up without the air intake manifold on it and it acts like it is flooding. If I removed the fuel line from the tank for a few seconds of cranking, the motor would fire up for a couple of seconds and die. Reinstalled the air intake and with the fuel line connected the entire time it would fire up every time I cranked it for anywhere from 2-8 seconds. After dying I'd crack the plug open on the carb bowls and they still had fuel in them and the primer bulb was still stiff. When it did run for a few seconds it sounded smooth but just died off. Tried giving it a little throttle and it didn't seem to like that; it would fire, rev slightly and then die. I had someone pump the bulb on the fuel line while I cranked it and the motor was running, but that didn't make any difference. I also disconnected the primer solenoid, as I thought it was flooding. Also, to try to eliminate possible issues, I drained the carb bowls and sprayed starter fluid into the carb throats while cranking and didn't get it to fire at all.

Thoughts on what my next steps should be?

Help yourself and post the actual compression values here.------Load test your battery.------Impossible for the electric primer to flood the engine.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads, yes or no?

Just tested (with gauge from O’Reilly’s) and came
up with 65-70 psi on all 6 cylinders. All 6 have good spark as well. Put a new stator on (old one was leaking black goo). Fires up for a couple seconds at idle, or with throttle slightly open it fires and sounds smooth for about 2-3 seconds and then stutters/pops back down in RPM and then dies out.

Update - Went back out because I found that the ground for the starboard side power pack was loose. Tightened and tried to start again. Did a couple tests and it seems like I can unplug all 3 plugs on either bank and it makes zero difference in how it runs.

Back