Logo

Help with impeller

Ronniewhite

Regular Contributor
I have a 2000 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder. I changed the thermostat but I think it's the impeller because it gets hot then once I turn the throttle up a bit it cools right off. I have the nut separated behind the Finns and have the six bolts out 3 on each side. I can get the lower unit to slide down about a foot then it stops. What am I doing wrong that I can't get the lower unit to come right off?

Is that the rod behind the Finns? Ya I loosened it off and it's separated. The two nuts that are half inch. You need two half inch wrenches?

So I think what the problem is, is were I separated the 2 nuts on the shift rod the top nut is on there . That's what is holding it from coming off. There's supposed to be a little black rubber then the nut just slides off. Well what I see looks like there's a black rubber maybe but it's down inside the bottom nut. How do I get the top nut on the shift rod off so I can pull the lower unit all the way off?

Put lower unit back up.-----Clean paint off the upper shift rod.----Slide the upper nut up.------Remove that split keeper ( black plastic ) on the rod.-----Remove lower unit.

Thx for your help, it's working properly now. It just gets warm and stays there. I can hold my hand right on the top off the block. I just have one more question. When I put the shift rod back together is the bottom nut supposed too be all the way down at the bottom or up a bit? I couldn't remember from when I took it apart. Also the little rubber keeper for the top nut I put the skinny end up I think that was the way it was on there but I couldn't remember.

Back