Logo

Mercury 1150f13hd (150hp 4-stroke) throttle won't go to the stop

stimpsonjcat

I have a 2016 Bentley 223SE with a Mercury 1150F13HD on it.

I was recently towing some kids on an inflatable and was very unimpressed with the boats power and speed.

We generally just cruise around on the toon, so I never really noticed how much of a dog it is.

So I got to doing some research and I found several things:

1-It can only make about 4100RPM topped out with good trim
2-The throttle lever hits the console topped out
3-the throttle lever on the motor isn't fully against its stop when the throttle lever is against the console.

The current prop is a 78116CP1F 15P, which is a 15.25"x15 prop. The Mercury prop selector agrees this prop should work with this boat.

I used the prop selector option to feed in the current performance spec and it spit out that I need a 78114CP1 16"x13 prop, so I have that prop coming now.

Questions:
1-how much difference is the last 5/8" of movement in the throttle arm on the engine going to make? i.e. is it worth it to make a spacer to get the throttle assembly on the console up high enough to allow maximum movement of the arm on the motor?
2-Any other reasons the boat is such a dog and needs such a lower pitch prop? The toons aren't totally clean, but neither are they hairy.

Thank you for any feedback!

This is the motor throttle arm with the console throttle topped out against the console.
linkageslop.jpg

Last edited:
Back