Logo

2009 Honda BF200 oil weep hole?

Jake615615

Hello everyone. 09 BF200 I have been fighting an oil leak for a few years. I thought it was coming from the shift shaft seal but confirmed its not. I finally was able to see it leak in front of me!

Idled engine for about 2 mins, tilted engine all the way up, and after about 30 seconds, 1 -2 ounces came out this hole and stopped. I tried to get it to do it again but was unsuccessful.

I found on this form someone who had the exact issue but seems to be a dead-end thread from 2017. This is the thread. http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?443205-Oil-leaks-when-engine-is-trimmed-up

Anyone have any clue why oil would be coming out of here? Oil full, just at the full mark. Checked my port engine and has the same hole with no sign of a leak. I can’t find anything in parts breakdown or service manual. Just a picture of the crank case.

Please help!
engine 2.JPGengine 1.JPG

That is the breather hole for the flywheel housing. Either the lower crankshaft seal or the top oil pump seal is leaking. If you remove the starter motor you will find oil in the flywheel housing that should not be there.

Thanks so much for the reply! I'll pull the starter when I get back to the boat. Looking at the diagram this is where the oil filter goes as well as the oil fill. There's not supposed to be oil back there? Screenshot_20220616-234106_Samsung Internet.jpg

That is the breather hole for the flywheel housing. Either the lower crankshaft seal or the top oil pump seal is leaking. If you remove the starter motor you will find oil in the flywheel housing that should not be there.
Thanks again for the reply. I have been trying for 2 years to get a shop to pull the power head to replace the oil pump seal (prob just replace the whole pump Assy. and cank seals.) Question, if you dont mind., what else should I replace while the power head us off? Anything else as preventative maintenance? Some kind of exhaust seal I was reading at some point prior? Not concerned for the part cost, just don't want to have to pull the engine again anytime soon. Thanks in advance!

Do the block anodes and upper engine mount cover plate seal.
Thanks again! You have been very helpful! It's been about 2 years and I am literally only going off your direction and you have been right every step so far. In Michigan Honda outboards are far and few between and really only a small amount of Honda dealers. I've been on a waiting list for over a year, so decided to tackle it myself.

Any thoughts on these pictures? Oil pump seals look great but I'll change them anyway. The crank seal itself looks good too! BUT this sure looks like multiple cracks in the seal plate / holder? Have you seen this before? Think it was like that from the factory? I could tell there hasn't been anyone in the engine prior (thats I could see). When I bought it it only had 179 hours on each engine. They are at about 250hours now. It has leaked ever since I owed it. Also looks like the date plate / circle was intentionally scratched. Maybe it was a bad part from the factory and should not have been installed, and was accidentally? Any thoughts?

You said replace the engine mount cover seal. Are you talking about item 34. (2 of them)? If not what other seal are you talking about?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240227_073938.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_073938.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240227_074320.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_074320.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240227_074231.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_074231.jpg
    645.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240227_074150.jpg
    Screenshot_20240227_074150.jpg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 3
Item 19, it's the seal for the plate that covers the top eng mounts, the plates tend to cortode over time, pull it off, check it and fit a new seal with grease

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228_053139_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228_053139_Samsung Internet.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 3
Back