Logo

v6 cobra no or very hard to get into reverse. all cable tests done.

chs

Contributing Member
ok, so i have a v6 omc, 1989. the drive wont go into reverse without man handlng it and sometimes not even then. the ESA assembly gets stuck in interrupt because of the tension i am putting on it.
now, ive pulled the drive, checked the cables they are fine, shifts smooth with no drive in place. i've set and adjusted the cable wth the necessary tools to shop manual specs. i have tried to physically put the drive into reverse by hand and it is stuck. neutral and forward are fine. what is it in the drive that would cause it to not go into reverse all of a sudden.
fuid level is good and clean.

Sometimes you can get corrosion on the shifter rod that goes down into the lower unit and it will hang up on the seal that is in the shift rod cover on the lower unit. While someone turns either the drive shaft (if the drive is removed) or the prop shaft (if the drive is installed on the boat) move that rod all the way up and grease it well with Evinrude triple guard grease. Keep in mind that when shifting a dog clutch drive either the driveshaft or the prop shaft should be turning, if you try to shift it without either one turning it can get stuck. So any time you're shifting it with the engine off, (KEY OUT) if the drive is installed, someone has to spin the prop for it to actually shift.
If it's not that, it is possible that there's a problem in the lower unit....

LOWER GEARCASE - STANDARD (R.H.) ROTATION - 1989 Stern Drive 4.3 262APRMED | Crowley Marine
take a look at the schematic....if you're going to do any dis-assembly I'd advise getting a Factory Shop Manual

Last edited:
Back