Logo

Starting issues with Mercury 50 hp

JasRam

Contributing Member
Hello All,
I have a 1983 Mercury 50 hp that I'm having issues with. It starts intermittently. I assumed that I had a dead starting battery, so I put a new battery in, that didn't help, so I cleaned all of my terminals/connections. It then worked for 3 straight trips out without a problem.

Yesterday, I was out and it wouldn't start at the dock. It dis start after 6-9 attempts at pull starting. Once running, it will idle all day. It seems to not do much at all for the first 5-6 pulls. it then appears to burp.. or something similar, and then it starts after 6-9 pulls. I am noticing varying voltage on my fishfinder connected to the starting battery. When I'm going fast, it will range from 13.2-16.7, but it will sometimes fall under 12.3. I checked the rectifier a few days ago and it tested fine.

A few years ago, I put in a new stator and trigger and rebuilt the carbs. All wiring is new and it ran great for a bout 30 trips last year. It would start on the first try every time. What should I look at? I did accidentally arc two terminals on the rectifier a few weeks ago when testing on the motor...not sure if that would be the issue. I also notice that the starter shaft has some in and out play, and the spring won't fully retract every time.

Have your battery load tested even if new.----Some will argue but take the starter apart for inspection and ohm test on armature.-----No money spent to do that.-----Don't rush out and buy a starter, test the one you have.-----Make sure choke or enricher are working properly.

Have your battery load tested even if new.----Some will argue but take the starter apart for inspection and ohm test on armature.-----No money spent to do that.-----Don't rush out and buy a starter, test the one you have.-----Make sure choke or enricher are working properly.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

Back