Logo

2001 Mercury 4 stroke locked up - is it worth rebuilding?

Hey guys, I bought a boat with a blown 50hp 4 stroke motor. It isn’t seized, but something is locking it up inside. I assume something broken or bent. (Rod, valve etc)

are these motors worth rebuilding or is the cost generally not worth it due to their large number of parts (compared to 2 stroke) that need replacing and the machine shop practices required to do what is required?

I don’t know whether to dig in or part it out. And if there’s even much of a market for parts on these.

please feel free to give me your thoughts

If you can do the work yourself maybe.-----At a big shop these have become parts / throwaway motors.

thanks that’s what I thought. I’d like to learn how to do a 4S but I don’t think this will be the one.

generally speaking, do these 4 strokes generally suffer from massive failures such as broken rods/pistons, spun bearings or smashed valves?

Last edited:
Hey wait, before I do something silly like toss this thing out for parts, is there any built in safety devices that would stop the starter from spinning the motor? Such as neutral safety switch. Run don’t run switches etc.? I don’t have a manual for the boat. And I’m new to the system. Sorry but I’m totally green the last thing I want to do is get rid of something that I didn’t understand.

Most control boxes have a " start in neutral " switch.-------So use booster cables on the starter and see it turns / cranks !

Back