Logo

Gas spewing from plug holes during compression test.

I replaced the carburetor on my Mercruiser 5.7L 350 engine solely because the throttle linkage was getting still and it stuck a few times. It ran fine, just a bit sticky. In hindsight that was a pretty trivial thing to complain about. So I purchased this new, re-built, beautiful Rochester Quadrajet. Everything matched up and it was an easy install even for me. Started it up and the engine has never ran worse. I have a couple other posts here trying to find help figuring out what could be wrong. I got help from several of you and check if ports were misaligned, I had the right base gasket, air leaks etc. but nothing I did made a difference. Results I got from a compression test convinced me the motor was shot and before I started prepping for removal this afternoon, I found a loose valve stem in the compression tester's quick connect. I fixed that and got a completely different set of numbers from a new test but during this test with the coil wire disconnected and all plugs pulled, fuel poured out of the plug holes while I cranked the motor. I kept it in neutral the whole time and never touched the throttle. Both sides of the block was soaked in gas. I'm obviously not a mechanic but I still feel stupid asking if this is normal. If not, what is going on? Is there anything I can do? Sorry for writing a book. I really tried to keep it short.

No not normal you may see a mist of atomized fuel expelled from the plug holes but never liquid raw gas. Your carb is obviously flooding and this can be from a mis adjusted float, defective float, defective needle valve or needle valve installed wrong on the QJet. Carb has to come apart to inspect these causes. That’s also why it runs worse than ever…..

may NOT be the carb itself....I'd check the 'sight tube' from the fuel pump...what should be the bright yellow flexible tubing running from the fuel pump up to front of the carb.

The tube should be dry on the inside...if it is full of gasoline, the diaphragm in the fuel pump has ruptured and the pump needs to be replaced...

With the ignition DISABLED and the high tension lead grounded, you can crank the engine over and look into the primary bore (may have to hold the choke open)...if gasoline starts flowing into the primary from the sight tube's fitting, its normally pretty obvious.

If the pump gets replaced, be sure to change the oil and filter as soon as possible...

Rather than begin a new thread every time a different symptom of the same problem occurs, please post in the original thread so that there is a clear picture of what you have done.

Back