Logo

Yamaha LZ150 HPDI Runs only when Key held in the start position.

Docksidemarineservices

Silver Medal Contributor
LZ150 only runs when key held in the start position, engine dies when key released to the run. Nothing wrong with the key switch. I divorced the engine from the boat harness and used a remote key switch.

YDS loses communication with ECM while cranking. Electric pumps run with key up and can read ECM with YDS until I try to start the engine.

When you used the remote key switch what happened? Did the motor do the same as with the old switch or does the motor now start and run normally?

When you used the remote key switch what happened? Did the motor do the same as with the old switch or does the motor now start and run normally?

Problem not solved with remote key switch..........
At this time of the year I have a stack of boats to service and not much time to dig into this engine harness/ecm, hoping someone would give me a cause for this issue on an HPDI....

I would suspect a fault in the circuitry that provides key on battery power to the ECU. The yellow wire from the key switch to the motor.

Update,unplugged the TPS and motor starts and runs.Reset TPS to factory specs,motor starts and dies so TPS may be the problem

Mine acts the same with remote key,starts and dies instantly every time
OP says his motor would only run when the key was in the start position. Not that his motor was starting and then dying.

Please restate whatever problem it is that you think you are having.

I have a 2001 225hp xo66, just changed the ignition switch and it will only run if the key is in the start position. Still working on what is causing this issue so if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2001 225hp xo66, just changed the ignition switch and it will only run if the key is in the start position. Still working on what is causing this issue so if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.
When the key is in the on position do you have battery voltage on the main engine harness yellow wire?

Back