Logo

Yamaha/Mariner 695 s 002398 25 hp

crankshaft

Contributing Member
This outboard seems to have no spark. It has the standard type grey coils and I guess it must be a magneto engine as I see no CDI. What do you think I should try first to see why no spark? It is probably an 80's model in very good condition.

No classic 2 cyl. It is pre-mix. Classic 80's I thought I saw some corrosion on the ground wire, but it was ok. The cylinder on the right side looking from the front of outboard seemed to have slight spark when I viewed it at dusk outdoors and it was a little dark. Next time I tried to see it, the spark was not there.

Many small planes use mags only. Obvious reliability issues.
I can't recall a light piston powered air plane that does not use a magneto ignition system. Two of them actually. Some with a special system to help them get started given their fixed timing systems.

Big difference between an airplane motor and an outboard motor. It is not just happenstance that all modern stuff uses electronic ignition systems. Some air plane motors as well.

I can't recall a light piston powered air plane that does not use a magneto ignition system. Two of them actually. Some with a special system to help them get started given their fixed timing systems.

Big difference between an airplane motor and an outboard motor. It is not just happenstance that all modern stuff uses electronic ignition systems. Some air plane motors as well.

Yes, You will never catch me up in the air with a single CDI unit after experiencing outboard CDI failures. You are right most light plans have dual mag units.

Back