Logo

2001 Honda BF50 rev limiter question

[FONT=&quot]Greetings, I just purchased a 2001 Honda BF50, and I’m trying to determine whether I should buy and install a tachometer for it. It was previously on an 18 foot boat and I’m putting it on my 16 foot boat that I allow my kids to use. If it was my primary boat I would spend the money and time to install a tachometer. Should I be worried about my young adult kids operating at wide-open throttle such that they could damage the motor by over revving it without knowing it since there’s not a tachometer? Or, is there and can I trust a rev limiter to protect the motor from over-revving? Am I even thinking about this correctly? Thanks for any advice![/FONT]

Last edited:
I was thinking just put a prop on there that's not possible to over rev, but after thinking about this for a second, I think the tach might be a better plan. Consider the price of a tach the cost of a lesson they should learn - AND - the only way to provide assurance the right prop is installed.

Motor is red lined at 6k, but they sound really busy at that rpm. I've found 5500 works better with no loss of top end. 6k will work better if they are towing anything. That 6k prop will have noticeably more zip accelerating from a stop.

Back