Logo

2011 BF75 shuts down on overheat when idling

Spot on Jimmy, I just want to emphasize that honda electrics are very reliable, this is a classic case of not sticking to keeping it simple, a new ECU has been purchased instead of doing a proper investigation into the overheat issue that was always the issue in this case, it's like a pilot coming to grief when not believing his instruments.......

And to add to this thread, the fact that after poking around in the sensor hole and a whole lot of mud coming out tells me there is mud packed all the way round the bottom cylinders and you will not get it put without removing the cylinder head. Like I said, I've had a few of these over the years.

And to add to this thread, the fact that after poking around in the sensor hole and a whole lot of mud coming out tells me there is mud packed all the way round the bottom cylinders and you will not get it put without removing the cylinder head. Like I said, I've had a few of these over the years.

I was thinking along the same lines. My experience with the 3 cylinder motors backs that up in spades. "Mud" is not real good news. Sure, pulling the head no fun, but the resulting motor with all it's cooling passages cleaned out will assure a longer service life looking at it thinking long term. The head isn't THAT bad a project. Good excuse to belly up for a factory overhaul manual as well......

As far as the 2 vs. 3 wires, makes little difference. You would troubleshoot the 5v and signal wires the same way with or without the ground wire.

As far as "overthinking", the idea of the signal voltage dropping as the motor warms, and the low readings that are supposed to be 5v, leaves me thinking there's a ground issue......somewhere.

Well, I can't be too critical of shepley's efforts. I certainly didn't realize that there was a third ect sensor and was sort of going along with the ECM call until you chimed in Ian.

I'm just hoping, for his sake, that you came along just in time and that, having not plugged it in yet, he can return it and just eat the shipping and restocking fee. That is, if that's what you want to do shepley.

What a pain for sure!

The problem with efi is people akways blame the electronics instead of sticking to the same age old basics. Very rarely is the problem efi related

Well, the water channel behind the block stat was completely plugged with debris. That explains why the shutdown time got progressively shorter, as the clog worsened with time. I guess I didn't consider that possibility because of the earlier motor flush with Rydlyme.. probably made it worse by sloughing off all that crap in the water jacket. Hard to wrap my head around somebody neglecting a nice motor so much. Don't have time for a teardown now, and I'm about to lose my nice shady spot in the driveway. I will come back to it when time & location permits. Again, I want to thank you guys for the advice and information you all provided. I'm not sure I would have gotten to this point on my own. Hopefully the good folks at PartsPak will accept the factory-sealed ECM back for a refund

Yes, please let us know how returning the ECM goes. You certainly did the right thing not tearing open the package and immediately plugging it in. So, I hope that they do the right thing too.

Good luck.

Well, I've seen restock fees of 25% so, in my opinion, that's a good outcome for you.

It also says alot about that company, PartsPak, being a good one to do business with.

Back