Logo

New to group looking for help with a couple of items

Pscm

Just picked up a 98 BF75 AW series motor. Had a water flow issue….I think. Replacing quite a few parts related to buildup in the water jacket area. Borescoped the cooling ports in head and cylinder block and all generally looks well other than it needs a good flushing. The water jacket had typical corrosion areas but generally in good shape. I would have replaced this but hard to find due to the age so jb weld was my friend and very little used. This engine is very low hours and was basically abused by not cleaning properly. It is very clean however. I may get lucky or it may turn into a parts donor but pretty confident it will be fine.

Anyways, I am struggling to find a service manual. I was looking for an actual Honda manual versus one of the generic brands. Local dealer claims they can’t get one so this may be true or they are misinformed. Any ideas?
Also on the front of the engine block is a small nipple with a 90 degree bend that is open to atmosphere. I figure this is either a vent or something is missing. Parts diagra,s on line do not show this. Can someone confirm if this is a vent? I have a BF50 currently on the boat and it is enough different that I don’t see this.

thanks in advance for any help.

That is a vent on the front of the block. 40/50's don't use one.

I watch ebay when I need a manual. Not the kind you download, but the used printed ones with a greasy thumb print here and there. Just don't confuse an owner's manual with a shop/overhaul manual. I've bought brand new unused Honda manuals in a plastic binder for 50 bucks or less.....

As Alan said, the 90 degree pipe on the front of the block is a vent. It is a vent for the flywheel cavity under the block.

Awesome info folks. I had looked on eBay and couldn’t find the correct manual but I did order one from Honda as suggested by JGMO. Now if my parts will just arrive!

Back