Logo

Bf60 2013 model no water through tell

Pauljustin

Hello all just seeking some advice on a 2013 Honda BF60 motor I have just purchased.
When i inspected the boat the seller hooked up the hose to the muffs and started the engine and water flowed out the tell like it should. I have since taken it out for one trip and noticed the tell was working fine. Came home and went to flush motor and no water is coming out of the tell.
I changed the impeller out and still the same issue. The tell hose coming from the motor is clear as i have blown air through it and i can feel it coming out of the water intake at the bottom of the leg. Checked thermostat and looked ok could feel air coming out. Also ran it for a minute without the thermostat to make sure it was blocked.
I'm out of answers any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Hi,
I don't know this outboard but I do know that some of the Hondas have water intake screens at the front of the gearcase that need to be taped closed when using muffs. Could that be the case with yours?

I also am not a fan of using muffs, especially when diagnosing waterpump efficiency or "issues".

I know others will argue but I don't believe muffs will provide you with accurate information about how the system is working as opposed to a properly set up test tank. Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Muffs on these 40-60 hp Honda's are going to require a pretty strong source of water, and then they should never be run over an idle. Look right above the prop for the reason why. Without GOOD water pressure/flow, that 3rd water intake will let all of the water you're pumping in to the muffs is going to come out right there.

For that reason, running them in a trash can with the water level well above the pump, is a better plan than the muffs.

Back