Logo

1972 18hp Evinrude no top end

R

Rob K.

" I'm sure this question h

" I'm sure this question has been on here before, but I couldn't find it. Sorry to be redundant, but I am out of options. Here is what I have: The motor gets out of the hole great, but loses power. Seems like it is running on one cylinder. Compression is 100 in both cylinders. Carb has a new kit in it. Good fire on the plugs. I've been told that a possible cause could be a bad bearing in the foot!!?? Is that possible?? How can I tell if the reed valves are good. Any help would be greatly appreciated. "

" check the ignition coils for

" check the ignition coils for cracks , a common problem. You may have a spark at idle but not at full compression. It takes a lot more voltage to jump the sparkplug gap with 100 psi compression. "

Thanks for the reply... I&#3

Thanks for the reply... I'll take a look.

" What type of voltage range s

" What type of voltage range should I get from the coil. It looks ok on the outside, but I would like to test it. "

" The coil(s) look fin

" The coil(s) look fine, but I'm not sure if the points are set right. Anybody know the gap on them? "

"Rob..... The point gap is .02

"Rob..... The point gap is .020. Set them when the flywheel key is lined up with the fiber operating contact of the points (the fiber portion of the points that rides against the crankshaft cam).

Use Champion J6C spark plugs, set at .030.

Check the magneto armature plate (the plate the points etc are attached to) to see if it has a wobble to it. If you can wobble it up on one side while it goes down on the other, the point will change their setting when you advance the throttle.... and this will knock out one cylinder.

This can be corrected by removing the armature plate, then using a screwdriver and a hammer, and looking straight down at the support ring, make a slight indentation in the support ring (the ring that's attached with 4 screws) at what would be called the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock position. That will take up the slack. You might need to install the armature plate a few times before you get it just right..... but that procedure will correct that ignition problem if it exists.

Joe
"

Thank you for your time. I w

Thank you for your time. I will look at that.

Back