Logo

Engine wiring harness connector

swampyankee

Contributing Member
The P.O. of my boat had cut the plug out of the engine wiring harness and butt connect the wires rather than try to repair a loose connection. I have to pull the engine to replace the starter ring gear so it would be a good time to splice in a new connector if possible. The engine is a PCM carburetted 5.7 in an '80's S2 Slickcraft sport cruiser. I have the wiring diagram and have already sorted thru the wiring to understand what goes where. Without having it in front of me, I'd say there are 7 or 8 wires that connect.
Does anyone make a replacement or universal plug (both male and female side) that I can splice into this to make it right and easier in the future rather than cutting and butt-connecting wires every time?

you can buy military (watertight) connectors - look up "38999 connectors" - as one option...size the pins to match the wires and you will be find.

It would probably be faster to just buy a new engine harness and a matching new instrument panel harness.

If the engine is pre-ECU, another option is to just make a new harness (from the instrument panel to the engine) and eliminate the connector...if the engine has to be removed, its not that difficult to just disconnect the wire ends...and you never have to worry about the connector pins and sockets corroding...

FYI in powersports (ATV's) connectors and repairs are addressed by OTB powersports....just a another source

you can buy military (watertight) connectors - look up "38999 connectors" - as one option...size the pins to match the wires and you will be find.

It would probably be faster to just buy a new engine harness and a matching new instrument panel harness.

If the engine is pre-ECU, another option is to just make a new harness (from the instrument panel to the engine) and eliminate the connector...if the engine has to be removed, its not that difficult to just disconnect the wire ends...and you never have to worry about the connector pins and sockets corroding...

The wiring is currently just butt spliced at the engine. I really want a quick way to disconnect everything for pulling the motor when needed. I bought both female and male plugs like this
51ofdn6Pq4L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Why is it so difficult to find a replacement 8 pin engine to helm harness assembly? Something found mine to be tasty and has chewed it up in several places. the cable harness has a mercury part number tag attached near the pin connector near the engine.. 84-816625A20. when I try this p/n it says invalid number? Any suggestions would be appreciated..

it could be obsolete (NLA)...worst case is order a connector and build your own harness from the engine to the console...there are a few aftermarket sources that have replacements...without knowing what you are try to connect, its hard to say with detail...

it could be obsolete (NLA)...worst case is order a connector and build your own harness from the engine to the console...there are a few aftermarket sources that have replacements...without knowing what you are try to connect, its hard to say with detail...

I have a 2005 Bentley pontoon with a 50hp mercury, i have to replace the harness from the eight pin connector to the helm,the damage is in between . i haven’t taken apart the helm console yet but i think it is the ignition switch, choke, and alarm harness.
the engine harness is fine, the damaged cable is of course under the boat. The disconnect at the engine is in great shape, like I said the damaged cable is between the engine and helm. any info for materals would be appreciated..

fastest way would be to figure out which control box you have (ideally by its part number) and get the engine serial number and take both to a local Mercury dealer...they will likely have to order it for you.

Back