Logo

BF115 - Oil Leak under Trim Tilt Relay

I-Underdog

Hello Everyone,

I have a weird one.. 2002 BF115, Is leaking oil on the port side. The oil is collecting, clinging, on the bottom of the trim tilt relay. it drips down into the gully, runs back to the center drain hole at back and runs down the lower unit. I cleaned the entire area with Lectra-motive and wiped it all dry last night. Then ran it on muffs for 15 minutes. No leaks observed.

This afternoon, the oil has returned, the highest point I can find is the bottom of the TT Relay. Also a little oily on the left, on the trim tilt wires.
Is there anything behind or above the Relay or the ECM box that has a plug or a seal ? I inspected with a flashlight for a long long time, up front. The shift shaft seal is clean and dry... The little drain pipe (up front) for the flywheel case looks clean and dry. I took the timing belt cover off and inspected the top, the top is clean and dry, I don't see anything dripping down. I am scratching my head. Anybody have any advice or ideas ?

Thanks,

Chris

IMG_8196.jpg

This pic, if you can see the arrow in the middle pointing to a drop of oil.. it collects under the relay and drips off that bracket. has been going consistently for 3 days. Not a huge amount, the first day a few tablespoons, and slowly making less.... Thank You

Hi,
I don't know this outboard and I can't determine from the parts page (link below) what side the airbox/muffler and throttle body are located. But I was thinking that, because of the very small amount of oil, this might have something to do with the crankcase vent system?

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...in-bzbd-1300001-to-bzbd-1399999/throttle-body

You might take a look at the hoses (items 18 and 19), the crankcase breather filter assembly ( items 7 and 8) and maybe even the airbox drain (items 24, 25 and 4). If the filter is dirty or clogged it could cause oil vapor and droplets to back up in the hoses. The vapors are also acidic so they could cause the hose to break down and leak over time.

If the airbox drain plugs, it could fill with oil and oil would come out the top of the vacuum break fitting (item 4).

How any of this oil might make it to the bottoms of the relays I don't know but speculate that air movement inside the engine compartment might be the conduit.

At any rate, this is all a big guess on my part. Just trying to help.

Good luck.

Back