Logo

Honda BF Oyster Silver paint turns to copper

Old No7

I wonder if anyone has any ideas on this...

The Honda "Oyster Silver" Touch-up Paint on my BF130 turns to copper in spots after a year or two.

For prep, I did sand below the cover, then wiped it with acetone, let it dry, and then sprayed on a zinc chromate primer. After that dried, I sprayed on the Oyster Silver and sprayed that with the Honda Clear Coat after it had dried.

My twin thinks that the primer works best on bare aluminum, but I didn't sand it all the way down, so the primer did go on over old (but sanded) paint. I thought was more prep than most folks would do...

Any tips on how best to get the Honda Oyster Silver to "stay silver"???

Old No7

Attachments

• BF130 Paint (sm).jpg
    BF130 Paint (sm).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 15
  • BF130 Paint.jpg
    BF130 Paint.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 15
Well, I can say, with complete authority, that I know diddly-squat about paint or why that is happening.

But my observation with the result is, that with a few splotches of green and a few thin, squiggly lines of yellow added, you got the makins of a pretty cool lookin' camo job. ;>)

Well, I can say, with complete authority, that I know diddly-squat about paint or why that is happening.

But my observation with the result is, that with a few splotches of green and a few thin, squiggly lines of yellow added, you got the makins of a pretty cool lookin' camo job. ;>)

OK, I had to laugh at that! LOL!

I've seen your very helpful posts numerous times on here before, and the forum even has you labeled as an "Outstanding Contributor"... So with all that, I was very hopeful when I first saw that you had replied -- but since you made me chuckle, I'll forgive you for not helping me out. :)

I might just sand it down again and use a gray automotive primer this time, then the Oyster Silver and Clear Coat. Whether that lasts longer, I don't know -- but for sure it will have to look a lot better.

Old No7

August 1 update on this:

I just had 2 Honda dealers tell me they: "Suspect a bad lot of Honda Clear Coat..."

And of course, neither of them had any cans of the Oyster Silver available (national backorder).

One parts guy told me it was an occasional problem with clear coat used on auto tire rims; some lots would turn yellow/copper over time.

Old No7

The oyster silver paint code is NH-282-M

The key is to put 3 coats of clearcoat on after the paint job. Procedure is:

Sand and prime cover with two coats of primer.

Paint it with Honda paint code NH282 - Oyster Silver Metallic. At least two coats.

Then, three coats of clearcoat.

Then apply decals.

Honda NH282 Oyster Silver Metallic in the non-aerosol cans is only available through Colorite.

See: https://www.colorrite.com/product/honda-nh282-oyster-silver-metallic-1449.cfm

I had mine done that way three years ago and it still looks new.

Back