Logo

Tohatsu mfs 30b overheating

Brian46

Brian46.

Hi All,

water over temperature warning light comes on after 10 minutes. Changed thermostat but still the same problem. Does anyone have a water flow chart for this 2012 outboard? Any suggestions on how to unblock the waterways gratefully received!

Did you test the overheat sensor; actually test the temperature with an IR thermometer?

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your quick response! As my first thread I did not give enough detail. Also replaced the impeller and tell tail ok, but still over temperature. Dropped leg off again, attached hose to feed tube, removed thermostat and left cover off. Turned mains water full on and water flowed well, but a lot of back pressure on hose. Left to flow for 2 hours and then reassembled. Tried again but over temperature after about 10 minutes. If the flow is going through a single series circuit I would be reasonably happy that some sort of flush would sort the problem, but I think there are probably 2 or 3 circuits in parallel, so if this is correct, then this could mean a strip down???. Thanks in advance for any advice.

After you VERIFY the temp with an IR thermometer, you could backflush through the thermostat housing.

After you VERIFY the temp with an IR thermometer, you could backflush through the thermostat housing.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply Filled cooling system with Star Bright and let sit for 10 minutes , then further 2 minutes according to the instructions, then flushed with fresh water. Then used Proflush engine descaler with indicator for 4 x 10 minutes. Pleased to confirm that this sorted the problem! Thanks for your advice!

Back