Logo

1992 Fish and Ski (3.0 Mercruiser) electrical issue

jbarker3752002

Hello,

I have a '92 Fish and Ski with a 3.0 Mercruiser that had not been run in three years due to COVID and health issues. I replaced the battery and took it to the lake, where it fired immediately and ran fine for about 30 minutes. I noticed once that my Fishhawk turned off, and my marine band radio went back to channel 16, like both had lost power for an instant.

Brought it back to the dock, and let it idle for a bit, and it died... zero power to ANYTHING - horn, ignition, radio, FM radio, Fishhawk, nada... Checked the battery and still had 12.8V there... look up and there is the 50A circuit breaker. I pressed it (didn't really feel like it reset..) and voila - everything works again. Took the boat back out for a bit and ran fine for about 30 minutes... I put my meter on the battery under power to see if the alternator is charging, and it seems to be overcharging - 15.6VDC. Ran it for a little while longer and the Fishhawk and Marine band radio "reset" like they lost power for an instant (Uh-oh)... started back toward the dock, and it died.

I tried resetting the breaker again, and nothing..I could not raise the stern drive or operate the trim at all, so I un-wired the leads from the breaker and bolted them together so I could get back to the dock, and viola everything started. Ordered a new breaker and replaced it, took the boat out for round 2, thinking I had it figured out... Ran it for about 30 minutes or so, and noticed that the Fishhawk and Radio yet again reset (Ruh-Roh again) and started back toward the dock... Didn't make it before the boat died. I checked the breaker, and still had continuity across the posts, 13.6V in the battery, but nothing at the horn, ignition, radios, Fishhawk, or trim.

It seems like something is perhaps heating up, and the time it takes me to un-wire the breaker and bypass it is enough to "reset" it, or the act of disconnecting power does it...

Any help is greatly appreciated! I could take the boat to the marina and let them sort it out, but hate the thought of a $500 bill to find something simple...

James

Ayuh,..... I'd start by removin', 'n cleanin' to shiny metal Clean, both ends of both battery cables,.....

Back