Logo

2017 Yamaha F25....Is it NMEA AND/OR Yamaha Digital Gauge compatible?

SoCalAngler

Regular Contributor
I'd like to see/view engine hours (history) since new, rpms, and water temps/ oil pressure. I'd like to see this engine data on either a
Lowrance Elite Ti2 and/or a Garmin 93SV UHD or on a Yamaha Digital Gauge.
Is this possible?

Questions about my motor....

1. What type of engine data is this year/model/hp motor able to provide?

2. Is it NMEA compatible (info not found in my owner's manual)?

3. Does the Yamaha 6Y8 gauge or NMEA data provide engine hours (for gauge: does it start at 0 when gauge is installed or will it read total engine hours), and (for NMEA data) does it show total engine hours and history or RPMs with total engine hours, since motor was first operated?

Thanks!

That model is Yamaha Command Link compatible. AKA NMEA 2000.

The Engine Control Unit (ECU) is logging time. That time can be displayed on a Yamaha 6Y8 gauge or an MFD having NEMA 2000 capability. The engine hours will be from the time the ECU was first installed. I only say this because if someone were to have replaced the ECU, the ECU would be indicating less engine time than was actually put on the motor.

Here is what can be displayed on the 6Y8 gauge. Oil pressure is not available. VTS is available.

Related question....

Whatever data the motor is able to provide via Command Link Gauge, can this SAME data be provided via a FF/GPS that is NMEA ready (ex. Lowrance 9 Elite Ti2)?

Yes. As annotated.

If the FF/GPS is NMEA 2000 compatible, and provides the SAME data as the Yamaha Command Link Gauge, I would not need the gauge...correct?
I may install both, but want to know if they would BOTH be providing SAME motor data.

Thanks!

Thanks boscoe!

I contacted Lowrance and this is their response about data and connections. I did not ask about VTS specifically, but will do so in my next communique.

If the Yamaha engine which is being connected to the NMEA 2000 network is not already connected to the Yamaha CommandLink system, then the Yamaha Engine Interface cable connects directly to the NMEA 2000 connector under the engine’s cowling. The display and the Yamaha Engine Interface both needs to be connected to the NMEA backbone to output engine data, such as RPM, Engine hours, Engine Temp, Fuel Pressure, and others."

Now I just need to find a digram on how to make all of these connections and create an "NMEA Backbone." Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Now the Yamaha engine which is being connected to the NMEA 2000 network is not already connected to the Yamaha CommandLink system, then the Yamaha Engine Interface cable connects directly to the NMEA 2000 connector under the engine’s cowling. The display and the Yamaha Engine Interface both needs to be connected to the NMEA backbone to output engine data, such as RPM, Engine hours, Engine Temp, Fuel Pressure, and others.”

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your help boscoe!

I connected my Lowrance Elite Ti and motor to a NMEA 200 network I created. I used the Yamaha NMEA connection cable from Lowrance.
All worked out great!

Initial data includes: Engine temp; RPM; Hours; Volts.

I need to work with the FF more to see if any additional data can be had. Very satisfied with the results.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back