Logo

BF225 idles but won't rev up

Storeboughthero

My starboard motor was running well. Never had an issue with it. I just did a service on it that included high and low pressure filters, new plugs, thermostats, gear case oil, impeller, oil and filter and external fuel filter. I got it all back together and it starts but at idle seems off a little but when I try to rev it up it stalls or sputters and dies out again. I've checked all the work I've done and it all seems ok. I did leave the cover off over night cause I forgot about it and we did get a little rain this morning if that helps out. Any ideas where to start looking? Thanks

Hi,
There's a current post entitled "225 Cranks but will not start" that has someone talking about doing a service and finding out that he had installed the high pressure filter in backwards. I know that your symptoms are different in that yours will start but any possibility that could have happened?

With it getting wet, you may want to check the TPS connector. Check the spark plug wells for holding water.

WD 40 dislpaces water and is safe for pretty much all surfaces. You could try spraying some on connectors you think could be "flooded"

I've used WD 40 many times to get cars going after they were driven into deep water and stalled.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Hi,
There's a current post entitled "225 Cranks but will not start" that has someone talking about doing a service and finding out that he had installed the high pressure filter in backwards. I know that your symptoms are different in that yours will start but any possibility that could have happened?

With it getting wet, you may want to check the TPS connector. Check the spark plug wells for holding water.

WD 40 dislpaces water and is safe for pretty much all surfaces. You could try spraying some on connectors you think could be "flooded"

I've used WD 40 many times to get cars going after they were driven into deep water and stalled.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Thanks for the response. I did check the filter again to be sure but it was in the right way. I'll check the connection at the tps. Is wd40 ok to spray on the connections? I'll also check the plug wells. Thank you again. I'm hoping to get this worked out soon we have a Bimini trip planned soon lol.

The WD 40 won't harm the connectors and will force the water out of them. It's not electrically conductive as far as I know but a good practice would be to spray the connector to remove the water and follow up by spraying contact cleaner to wash off the lubricant.

Some people recommend using alcohol to do this in one step without leaving any residue. But alcohol is hygroscopic and will not remove the water.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thinking about this further it dawns on me that you may want to check and possibly dry out or dewater the Inlet Air Bypass.(IAB) valve connector and the MAP sensor connector too.

Check the vacuum lines to the MAP sensor to make sure they are still properly connected at both ends and in good condition.

Good hunting.

There may

So I did all that and also primed and pressurized the fuel system following some tips I'd read on here (I had drained the vst) and put it in the test tank. It ran better and I was able to rev it a little higher without stalling but I'm going to take it to the ramp later this evening and see how it does in the water. I appreciate your help and I'll let you know how it goes.

Back