Logo

Dumb question re sierra push in primer key start switch

bigtime_mcalpine

Regular Contributor
Bit embarrassed asking this one but here goes. I had a lot of trouble starting my 98 35hp triple on her maiden voyage last week. Once running she was awesome. It was just the cold start that had me breaking a sweat. So here is the dumb question: for push start ignition, does the fuel primer work when switch is “on” and or does it only work when Switch is on “ start” ? I was pushing key in when it was in “on” position but not while I was cranking. I don’t think the fuel solenoid was working. Does it need to be in start position to work maybe?

The fuel primer is not a pump.-----It is a valve that opens when key is pushed in when ----ON and DURING cranking.-----The fuel primer valve does nothing if there is no fuel pressure to it.-----Therefor the key must be pushed in and held in while cranking.---After motor starts it is to be pushed in if motor falters before it warms up.------This primer valve was a huge improvement over choke flappers.----But in my opinion things with wires attached are often mis-understood.

The fuel primer is not a pump.-----It is a valve that opens when key is pushed in when ----ON and DURING cranking.-----The fuel primer valve does nothing if there is no fuel pressure to it.-----Therefor the key must be pushed in and held in while cranking.---After motor starts it is to be pushed in if motor falters before it warms up.------This primer valve was a huge improvement over choke flappers.----But in my opinion things with wires attached are often mis-understood.

ahhhh, exactly what I was after. Thanks for taking the time to reply, Raceroni. I will adjust my start procedure before doing any troubleshooting to make sure it wasn’t human error. I definitely was NOT pressing in while cranking.

Back