Logo

looking for measurements for v/p sx-a trim pistons

stang32

Regular Contributor
[FONT=&quot]i have a 2009 v/p and believe the trim pistons are not going to full extension and was hoping someone out there with the same setup could give me a measurement from center of pin to center of pin. i have 19 3/4" full extension. i really think this drive should be able to go up further. i pulled the pins and the drive goes up plenty more than full travel is right now so it make no sense that this drive only goes up this much.[/FONT]

Did you check fluid level?
I know it’s a bit of a pain, with the reservoir being mounted on the transom, but if fluid is low, it won’t fully extend.
I had that issue with my ‘08 VP SX. The pump does not have a limit switch, you can hear the pump noise change after you hit the limit of ram travel, but the pump keeps going as long as you have your finger in the trim switch. As soon as I topped the fluid, the rams travelled full throw. However, because of the “white plug leak”, I changed the pump cover, that cured the issue…for two years so far.
also, do a search on the issue with that trim system. Specifically, the top of the pump/reservoir, where all the hydraulic lines connect. They were/are notorious for blowing out a small plastic disc, and/or leaking fluid.
the only fix is to purchase a kit, comes with new lines & reservoir cover. I think I laid $475 from a place in New Jersey. It’s an easy job, & you will need two bottles of VP trim oil.
Read Post #4 of this link,that’s the issue with these.
https://forums.iboats.com/threads/problems-with-volvo-penta-sx-a-outdrive.628978/

edited:here’s the HOW TO
https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-to-volvo-penta-sx-a-dps-trim-pump-replacement.548948/

Last edited:
edchris, thanks for the input but that is not the issue.

thanks dave,

chris, this is news to me, i wonder why they would be a shorter travel cylinder. next question is , how can i identify mine and get a different degree cylinder.

They have different degrees of tilt as to not damage a swim platform.

FULL TILT 52 DEG. 23 13/16" FULLY EXTENDED

42 DEG. TILT 22 3/8" FULLY EXTENDED

32 DEG. TILT 20 13/16" FULLY EXTENDED

Fully extended measurement is from (end to end, overall) not from center of pin to center of pin.

Last edited:
Back