Logo

Yamaha 70hp not charging

Hazzardous76

I have a 2001 Yamaha 70LTRA 2 stroke outboard. Last fall it quit charging my battery. I did some research over the winter and thought the rectifier was the issue. I replaced it with a cheap knockoff over the winter. When I ran it for the first time this spring it still wasn’t charging. I then bought an OEM Yamaha rectifier and installed it. When testing in my driveway with muffs the volt meter went to 14 volts while running so I assumed it was fixed. However, when on the lake a couple days later the highest I could get was around 12.5 volts…which is just a hair over what the battery voltage was when first turning the key on. I tried turning off all my fishing graphs/electronics to remove any draw and that didn’t help either. The battery is fairly new and ran my equipment all day even without the charging system. Am I missing something? Is something else the issue? Before my first one went out I was getting around 14 volts when the motor was running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Back