Logo

Smile I Suspect???? a weak Battery??

I have not run the engine in a few years. I ripped out and replaced cuddy cabin glass and wood. Now its time to start engine.

I recharged battery, which sat on the shelf for approximately 2 years. When i remove the plugs the flywheel spins freely. With plugs in, and now with compression in the cylinders, its bogged down..? where should I go first....Battery or starter?

The engine has sat up in the past. I find putting marvel mystery oil in the open cylinders, and the then spinning the flywheel without the plugs, loosens things up.

Default Re: I Suspect???? a weak Battery??

Get the battery load tested.----Do you know what motor you are working on ? ----I don't

Quote Originally Posted by racerone View Post
    Get the battery load tested.----Do you know what motor you are working on ? ----I don't
    Agreed. A load test is the only way to know if the battery is truly good. Many automatic chargers will show that a bad battery will take a charge, but it may be sulfated and have reduced cranking amp capacity.

The engine is a J115TLCIM-1981.

J115tlcim. 1981.

You MUST have a good battery and an inspected / good starter motor.-----If motor does not crank at about 250 RPM it will not have spark.-----And it will not start !-----Inspection / testing of the starter is easy in my opinion.

How do I load test the battery? Can I take it to "Auto Zone" and have them perform the load test. Once i have a battery that I know is GOOD......How do I determine the RPMS? How do I inspect/test the starter?

Most garages / battery retailers will load test a battery in just minutes.----Often a free service , at least my local shop does.------2 bolts takes the starter apart.----Need a digital ohmmeter to check armature.

I took the battery to be load tested and it was found to be in need of replacing. I purchased a new battery. The starter/flywheel spins faster; but I feel that it should still be tested. I feel I may have made a mistake years ago and purchased an aftermarket starter? UGGH. What is the best way to test the starter?