Logo

Volvo SM/DP drives switched is this a problem.

Newport Dave

I had my outdrives serviced this season. I personally inspected with the technician everything looked clean, u-joints, etc. We replaced billows just in case and did standard service. Last time I was out I felt more vibration than normal. Someone told you can get that if the drives are switched on the gimbals they are warn into. The mechanic stated they marked them an reinstalled and yes their (s)&(p) marks match including props. But later when I looked at serial numbers on motors they are swapped, double and triple checked. Not terribly worried but I keep thinking about it.
Is it bad to switch drives port to starboard on the original gimbals?

thanks
Dave

Ayuh,...... It's not like they're lifters on a camshaft,..... shouldn't be a problem,..... so long as the rotations are right,....

Any machine parts like to stay with matched parts, but I swap drives between boats, muchless side to side,....

Thank you for sharing your experience, sorry for the slow reply. I really wish they were in the correct position, per the numbers. I wanted to see if this had caused a problem for any one in the past.
Going to run it again tomorrow and see how it feels.

Thanks
Newport Dave

There was a thread on the Volvo forum several years ago about "indexing" props on DP drives to minimize vibration.

Back