Logo

2017 Honda BF30 fuel problem

plymouth kev

Help please, I recently purchased the engine. It starts etc and sounds fine but becomes fuel starved. I have discovered a black tube below the carbs which is not connected at the lower end. It is identical to the carb tubes which are connected. When running fuel pours out of this unconnected tube or hose. Sadly being dim I cannot see that it connects anywhere. ? Any ideas.

Most likely that's a vent tube, and when fuel is pouring from it, it's telling you that you are way past due for some carburetor work. A thorough cleaning is in order. Pretty sure it will sound even better when you get the fuel to stop pouring from the tube.

Most likely that's a vent tube, and when fuel is pouring from it, it's telling you that you are way past due for some carburetor work. A thorough cleaning is in order. Pretty sure it will sound even better when you get the fuel to stop pouring from the tube.

Thanks re the tube, the carbs are new and we gave them a blow through. Would a pipe blockage cause similar? Replace the carb pipe work?

New carbs can screw up easily in just a few months of sitting with no fuel stabilizer in use......

No clue how you would "blow them out" without a total tear down.....

New carbs can screw up easily in just a few months of sitting with no fuel stabilizer in use......

No clue how you would "blow them out" without a total tear down.....

Thanks again Alan, yes we took the whole assembly apart , it then seemed to work fine for 15 mins out of the water. Put it back in this morning and the same problem was immediately apparent.

Please identify which pipe has fuel pouring from it.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...auj-1300001-to-bauj-9999999/carburetor-tubing

If necessary, another break down showing the carbs

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...-bauj-1300001-to-bauj-9999999/carburetor-assy

Particularly Noteworthy, on reassembly, the vent tubes leading from the top of each of the 3 carbs (see tubes #1, #2, and #4) MUST be angled/routed "up" slightly to prevent fuel from pouring from the idle circuit passage in the top of the carb. If they are level, or angle down, fuel is going to run out the bottom (#23).

There's also a 3 way tee (#10) that acts as a vacuum breaker that must be installed as indicated and oriented properly so it can act as a vacuum breaker.

ALL of this tubing must be routed exactly as shown in the diagram. ANY deviation from the way Honda built it is going to cause you headaches - just like the one you describe.

Because of all of the tubing that MUST be installed correctly for this system to work, I call it a plumber's worst nightmare. NOT my favorite set of carbs to work on....

Please identify which pipe has fuel pouring from it.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...auj-1300001-to-bauj-9999999/carburetor-tubing

If necessary, another break down showing the carbs

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...-bauj-1300001-to-bauj-9999999/carburetor-assy

Particularly Noteworthy, on reassembly, the vent tubes leading from the top of each of the 3 carbs (see tubes #1, #2, and #4) MUST be angled/routed "up" slightly to prevent fuel from pouring from the idle circuit passage in the top of the carb. If they are level, or angle down, fuel is going to run out the bottom (#23).

There's also a 3 way tee (#10) that acts as a vacuum breaker that must be installed as indicated and oriented properly so it can act as a vacuum breaker.

ALL of this tubing must be routed exactly as shown in the diagram. ANY deviation from the way Honda built it is going to cause you headaches - just like the one you describe.

Because of all of the tubing that MUST be installed correctly for this system to work, I call it a plumber's worst nightmare. NOT my favorite set of carbs to work on....

Thats very helpful, thank you, I will go and investigate.

Kevin

Looking at that diagram it is 23 that the fuel is exiting.

kevin

Hello Alan, just to let you know what happened, we stripped the carbs again this morning and cleaned. The only noticeable things were less fuel in the bottom carb compared to the other two and a small split in the tube at its join to carb 3. Tube sorted and every thing re cleaned. It has now worked fine for a 2 hr test Hopefully that is it and thanks for your help.

Kevin

Awesome! Good job for having the patience to deal with what I believe to be the toughest set of carbs I've ever worked with (same ones on the '05-06 Honda 40's and 50's). And trust me, you are NOT the first one to have to go through those carbs a couple of times (at least!) to get them working right.

Thanks so much for taking the time to get back with us regarding your findings! We ALL learn that way!

Best of luck! -Al

Back