Logo

hard starting.

1991 Johnson J6REIA 6hp Outboard Motor

Last week i had to load it back on the trailer because I could not get it started.
I took it home and it started with some trouble in a bucket of water.
When I can start it, it runs fine.
Spark has no problem jumping a 3/8" gap Compression checked at 105 at top and 115 bottom.
I try with choke on and then off with extended pauses. Incase I was flooding it. Plugs were wet when inspected. I finally got irritated and shot either in the carburetor throat and still no luck. Not even a sputter.

What is your take?

Taking it to the dump is not an option, at least not yet.

How did it run for you last season ?-----If this motor sat for any length of time the carburetor may be gummed up.-----Is fuel fresh and mixed at 50:1 ?-----Does bulb on the hose go hard ?----Try giving it more throttle when pulling the rope.----Ignore marking on throttle grip.

I am going to try some fresh fuel. I shot some in a cup earlier this spring and it looked and smelled fresh with just the right amount of quick popping bubbles. But it is last years. I did not want to deal with 5 gal of apparently good fuel.
This was not the first use of the boat this year.
I'll let you know results
The carburetor will be my next focus.

I emptied the gas tank and much to my surprise water made its way into the gas even though I keep a cover on the boat when it's the yard.
Thanks everybody.

Back