Logo

Issues with 2021 Suzuki DF90A

Eagleguy

New to forum. I bought a Stingray 172SC with a 90 HP Suzuki DF90A about 6 months ago. Engine has between 15-20 hours. The other day while running around lake with a full tank of gas the motor konked out as if I had turned it off. In checking for any issues, I noted that the fuel line ball was soft and would not stiffen up when squeezed repeatedly. I let things sit for a bit after opening the fuel cap and tried numerous times to start with no luck except for a short rumble. Never has any issues prior. Checked the dead man switch, for vapor lock etc. with no luck. Had to get towed by Sea Tow back to the dock at a cost of $800. Nearest appointment I could get at the Suzuki dealer to have the boat check under warranty is 3 weeks away. Tech told me it sounds like a bad fuel solenoid but still has to look to confirm and gave me no suggestions on what to check in the meantime. Any ideas???

I have a 2009 DF90A and my fuel bulb doesn’t get hard, never has. I’ve always ASSUMED the low pressure fuel pump feeds the VST and the high pressure pump is sufficient to supply fuel. Your explanation sounded to me electrical as opposed to fuel related. You could change out your fuel primer bulb if you think it might be an issue. Follow your fuel line from tank to injectors looking for kinks or any abnormalities. Can you hear the high pressure fuel pump firing up for 3-5 seconds when turning the key to on not start but on? I have a bolt at the end of the fuel rail, if I crack it open a bit while the fuel system is charged it will expel fuel at 36psi so go slow with safety glasses on a cold engine. Not sure if a fuel injected engine will show wet plugs like a carburetor engine will on a no start engine, would be a better and safer way to ensure fuel is getting to the combustion chamber.

Did you ck for spark? Did you squirt some engine starter fluid in the cylinders and ck for ignition? My fuel bulb never seems to be as tight as I think it should be but it still works. I'm wondering if you have an electrical issue. If it will fire after priming a cylinder with starter fluid then the fuel injection system may be at fault. If no spark when removing a plug and placing the plug in wire clamped to the block, then electrical. You probably already know all this but good luck and let us know what you find.
Battery and ignition fine as she cranks but won't fire up. Fuel bulb soft.

Old thread but this seems to be a common problem. Me too. But mine will restart more often than not. I've heard that there is a plug from factory in VST vent line that dealers are supposed to remove but some didn't know to . So it can't vent vapors. Did you ever find a solution?
Can someone show me where end of VST vent hose is so I can check?

I believe it’s called Evaporation on the pic below. This is not your engine but should give you an idea where to look. Older models vent to atmosphere, newer ones vent to the crankcase in North America.
IMG_6191.jpeg

Back