Logo

1977 Mercruiser steering problem

John Churchill

Just bought a 1977 SeaRay SRV220 in pretty decent shape. Has a Chevy 305 engine 228 HP and a Alpha 1 Gen 1 outdrive. In active use until late last summer.
Manual cable steering, no power steering.
Guy was selling because he didn't want to pay someone to fix the steering problem. He said it only turns one way.
I was hoping for an easy fix. I know next to nothing about sterndrives but figured I could learn and it might not be too expensive of a DIY fix. Seller is mailing me the shop manual.
There's an A1Gen1 outdrive for sale nearby for $400 which I thought I could swap if needed.
But now I am not so sure where the problem is. No much luck googling- lots on bad cables, outboards, power steering, hydraulic steering, etc.
Wheel turns easily to left but not right.
I disconnected the cable from the linkage arm and cable runs in and out smoothly when wheel is turned.
With the cable disconnected the outdrive turns easily from one side to the other.

Is there a common cause for this problem? Solutions/suggestions please.

I hate to be a downer but a 45 year old boat is going to be one problem after another. I doubt that the steering will be the end of it nor the least expensive of what will be a series of challenges. You're probably going to have to replace the helm and cable. Those old helms aren't readily serviceable and getting cables for them can be problematic.
I once had a Carver with a Teleflex helm and the replacement cable was something like $350. Good luck.

There's really nothing in the outdrive assembly that would allow turning in one direction but not the other.

2X on the age of the boat...that said, its likely the cable is worn out. try loading the cable while it is disconnected from the drive...and then turn the wheel...

I did some minor disassembly of the furniture and have a better idea of the problem. Cable works, linkage rod is connected to the “steering arm” of the outdrive, but moving the arm does not move the outdrive. When he said it turned one way, it must have been from prop torque. There is no steering at all.

sterndrive remains centered in pics.

Attachments

• D44927E7-6617-4204-A1E8-CA0B497BB329.jpeg
    D44927E7-6617-4204-A1E8-CA0B497BB329.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 44F5AD60-48C5-44B6-929E-9F43683BC267.jpeg
    44F5AD60-48C5-44B6-929E-9F43683BC267.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 13
100 percent no bueno. You might want to get that spare drive as the one you have must be busted. The steering arm is connected to a shaft with splined ends. It is possible that the gimbal ring could be stripped out.

32582.jpg

100 percent no bueno. You might want to get that spare drive as the one you have must be busted. The steering arm is connected to a shaft with splined ends. It is possible that the gimbal ring could be stripped out.

View attachment 28699

Thanks for the info.
Did some more homework, watched some youtube, looked at parts manual.
I am starting to understand how these things work.
You are correct, this is an ancient splined shaft rather than square, and the gimble ring is stripped out. Parts obsolete of course.
And I think the whole deal will have to come off for replacement.
Going to look at the other unit tomorrow.
Looks like this old boat is gonna teach me a lot.

Back