Logo

2006 5.7 GXI-GF Alternator Harness Connection

Ray&Paula

Hi, I performed some service work last fall during winterizing. I'm now getting my 2006 Four Winns Funship deck boat with 5.7 GXI-GF gas engine ready for the season. I noticed a two wire alternator connector disconnected on the lower back side of it. I'd like to add, this connector only has one wire (purple) with the other one being cut off. I purchased this boat brand new and have always performed my own service work therefore, I know the wire was cut at the factory for some reason or another. Also, I've never had any alternator problems.
My problem now is, I don't know if I somehow unintentionally unplugged it while winterizing last fall. I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere therefore, I would sincerely appreciate it if anyone could please confirm connection / disconnection and/or some pic's? Thanks, Ray
I tried to upload some pic's but, was unable to for some reason....

Last edited:
Is that the only electrical connection to the alternator???? ( other than 12 v neg via case)

Thanks for the help..... This cable is not the main Positive or Negative cable to the alternator. It's much smaller and is located near the bottom of the back side. I just tried to upload some pic's but, I'm unable to for some reason. However, I posted this in another forum (link below) that has the pic's. Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate your help. Ray

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boatin...ternator-harness-connection.html#post15586235

Thanks for the help..... This cable is not the main Positive or Negative cable to the alternator. It's much smaller and is located near the bottom of the back side. I just tried to upload some pic's but, I'm unable to for some reason. However, I posted this in another forum (link below) that has the pic's. Thanks again, I sincerely appreciate your help. Ray

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boatin...ternator-harness-connection.html#post15586235

I believe Purple (violet) is color coded to connect to ignition and/or instruments. A look at a marine standard wire color code chart may give you more info because the boat hasn't been messed with and was probably built to ABYC standards.

I believe Purple (violet) is color coded to connect to ignition and/or instruments. A look at a marine standard wire color code chart may give you more info because the boat hasn't been messed with and was probably built to ABYC standards.

Thanks for your help..... Once I get my summerizing complete, I'll check my gauges with it disconnected and running. I'm not sure why they would have this connected to the alternator, but then again, I'm no mechanic....LOL. I'm also thinking that it may be for some option on other boats in which this may be just part of the harness. In return, leaving mine disconnected. I'm currently trying to find someone with the exact same year and make as my boat but, so far no luck. In addition, I'm looking for a wiring diagram specific to my VP 5.7GXI-GF as you suggested. Thanks again for your help and time, I sincerely appreciate it. ��

Back