Logo

1988 Johnson 40 stator question:

jdrake83

Motor: 1988 Johnson 40 J40TELCCS

Question:
Once the flywheel is pulled what all should I go ahead and replace while I’m in there?

Reason/backstory:
2020 - Bought the boat and motor. Rebuilt fuel pump, carbs, new fuel line and bulb (not the gray line), water pump, etc. Ran great

2021 - noticed loss of power at beginning of season (4-5mph). Signs of bad powerhead adapter gasket with oily mess leaking down side of midsection and possibly water getting into a cylinder (bottom plug very clean). While on a trip the motor overheated and would die. Cool off and restart. Couldn’t get past 3300 rpm. Discovered the head gasket had failed and a chunk had broken off and blocked the water flow passages.

Replaced head gasket
New power pack and ignition coils and rectifier

Didnt get a chance to test after that work.

2022 - Same problem persists: can’t get over 3300rpm. Went ahead and rebuilt the carbs. Same issue. Tried a new power pack. Same issue. New plugs. Got good spark (jumps the 7/16” gap). So I’m thinking stator.

Just want to make sure I change out what needs changed out with the flywheel removed.

Thanks for the help.

Overheating ???----Do a compression test before you spend any more beer tokens !!----Post your test results.

Thanks for the reply. I had typed this up once before but lost it and didn’t realize I forgot to mention the compression test the second time typing. 130psi in both cylinders.

Thanks for the reply. I had typed this up once before but lost it and didn’t realize I forgot to mention the compression test the second time typing. 130psi in both cylinders.

I should add that when it overheated last year it definitely smelled like something got cooked. Hard to remember exactly what it smelled like…wasn’t exactly electrical smelling but it wasn’t normal exhaust odors. Makes me wonder if it was the epoxy or something on the stator coils. The guts under the flywheel is the last thing on the motor ignition system that isn’t new (after the overheating) so I figure it can’t hurt to swap the stuff out and go from there. Just want to know what all should get attention while the flywheel is off.

I had a motor overheat once.-----I replaced entire stator and it worked great after that.

That’s good to hear. Not that our weather in central IL has been prime fishing weather but it’s been very frustrating when we get a rare good one and I’m working on a boat motor instead of being on the lake.

So to my question: while the flywheel is off what should get replaced? lubed? etc.

Cheers!

three thing under flywheel, stator for charging battery, charge coil and ignition sensor, over the years had 2 bad charge coils, any black or brown goo under them, change them. along time ago , i had over heat problem, had 140 compression, did all your doing, finally removed head and found head gasket problem, good news removing head easier then changing thermostat

three thing under flywheel, stator for charging battery, charge coil and ignition sensor, over the years had 2 bad charge coils, any black or brown goo under them, change them. along time ago , i had over heat problem, had 140 compression, did all your doing, finally removed head and found head gasket problem, good news removing head easier then changing thermostat

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like we did the same stuff but in reverse order. I had actually changed the thermostat already when I got the motor since I wasn’t sure how old it was and I figured it wouldn’t hurt. Definitely a pain on this motor compared to later years. I’ve just never messed with anything under the flywheel so that’s helpful. Thanks!

Back