Logo

Help with a too high Idle.

Have a 84 Mercruiser 5.7L with a large Rochester 4bb. Easy to start and keep running as long as the RPM's are around 2,000 while warming up and around 1,500-1,250. I would like to get\ my idle down enough to safely drop in gear before the tuna arrive.

1. Throughout the Rpm range above it runs smooth, sounds healthy, no missing, thermostat opens at 160, water flow good from intake through exhaust with no overheating.
2. The choke plate in the primaries are perpendicular (wide open) when engine warms up.
3, The idle adjusting screw on carburetor doesn't make contact with anything so if I were to back that screw out it would only increase the space between the tip of the screw and the place it's supposed to contact.
4.A vaccum reading from the front port on the carbeurator stayed without flutuating at 23hg PSI at 1,700 rpm's.
The right air/fuel adjustmet screw was backed out 1 ½ turns from being closed. When I screwed it in to closed, it had no effect on the engine so I backed it out 1 ½ turns and left it as I found it. 6 The left air/fuel adjustment screw was backed out 2 turns and when I screwed it in to close, the engine dies. I also returned it to two turns out.

I just want the idle to come down to where I don't blow up my outdrive putting it in gear. Based on the info above is there something I need to do or shouldn't have done. Anything to get me going in the right direction. I would sure appreciate anyone's suggestion at this point. Thank you.

Make idle adjustment with the throttle cable disconnected.... then reattach cable, adjusting it so it does not disturb the idle.

Make idle adjustment with the throttle cable disconnected.... then reattach cable, adjusting it so it does not disturb the idle.
Yep do this throttle cable is not allowing the carb throttle plates to return to idle speed screw , adjust the cable as bob has suggested

based on item 6 in post #1, its highly likely the carb is in need of a rebuild...with a high idle speed, the idle mixture screws should have little (if any) control ...

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it. I should have mentioned that I needed to use the throttle to keep it running. It wouldn't run hot or cold if I just dropped it into neutral. I could see that the cable was not allowing it to return so I adjusted the cable (added 1/16" length). I also changed out all the spark plugs. Now it starts up and runs in neutral but no effect on the idle; it's still too high. The choke plate opens while warming up to it's fully opened position. I couldn't try any other adjustments or check anything else because the power steering hose that runs from the cylinder to the oil cooler sprung a leak but I will get back to the overheating issue once I install a new hose. Thanks again

Back