Logo

Cleaning up 1973 135 Johnson / Hydroswift

BoatDope

I got a free boat. So far everything seems too good to be true. The boat was abandoned. I applied for title and got it. The seats were rotten but the floor and transom are solid as a rock. The engine looks hideous! But all cylinders have 110 psi compression. It started instantly with good battery and fresh gas. The gear case oil was thick and smelled burned. I changed it out and it shifts smoothly in and out of forward and reverse in and out of the water. Took it on a shake down run and it passes with flying colors! I've been looking for the any reason to avoid pouring money into a deadens but I have started to like this old boat. But the last thing I am worried about is this outboard. It appears to have been well cared for. new plugs in it, stored correctly etc. all the wiring seems to be in good order. But its a 1973, 50 year old motor. I'm a decent boat back yard boat mechanic and have some experience with 2 stroke outboards. I need sage advice.

Model #135ESL73M

1. What about the coils and power pack? They seem to be working great. Should I replace them?
2. The fuel pump. Replace, rebuild, leave it alone?
3. Ant thing under the flywheel I should be concerned about?
4. It doesn't seem to have a tell tale but plenty of water coming out of the exhaust in the mid housing. ??
5. Should I pull the carbs and go through them?

I want to take this boat on Lake Powell which is a big lake so the goal is to get reliable and have the right parts on hand. For sure I will stay close to ramp at first but I am already dreaming about going on a long fishing trip! I really like this little boat. Looking to hook up with some smart folks who know their way around these old Johnsons.
Having trouble inserting photo but Im trying. Coming soon.

Peace
IMG_2212 2.jpeg

Replace fuel pump diaphragm.------Replace water pump impeller.-----Test overheat horn,-----Make sure carburetors are clean.-------Enjoy this motor with the " powershift " lower unit.------Note ----the 1973 powerhead is a one year only model for many INTERNAL parts.

I am having trouble finding fuel pump diaphram/ rebuild kit that I can be confident will fit this model. I see fuel pump replacements on amazon for as low as 13$. Others for as high as 110$. I am wondering about the wisdom of replacing the vacuum hoses. They really don't look bad but they are nearly 50 ears old. Wondering If I buy the full pump if they come with it since they show in the expanded view. Advice?

Back