Logo

Steering actuator

SaltyCaptain

I have a 1994 with a DP CO trim. Tracking down a power steering leak which I believe I found the culprit to be the return line showing cracks in the hose back near the actuator. But being that I had to basically remove the actuator to access the lines I decided to reseal the actuator. Five star marine sold me the wrong seals even after I called first to confirm. They were nice enough to credit me back. My actuator is 872215. I decided to try a local hydraulic shop to get seals. I already had the actual cylinder section apart and had seals in a bag but I didn't have the other section apart where the steering cable goes through. Well after over a week with it in their hands they now tell me they can't figure out how to completely disassemble it to replace all seals and had the nerve to want to charge over $300 to reassemble what few things are apart with new seals. At this point I'm going the route of picking it up apart and paying the $40 for what seals they were able to match up and either reassemble myself as is or try to find an exploded view so I can fully reseal the unit or find someone else local competent in the job. I'm in the Kansas City area. Any insight would be appreciated.

Locate a rebuilder on Ebay and contact him. The kit you're looking for is 872697, and is no longer available ... :(

As it turns out there was only one sub assembly on the hollow shaft that the steering cable goes through which gave the hydraulic shop a stumble. Other than than that everything received new seals and has been tested In the driveway. Actuator is doing fine but I'm still not convinced that I don't have a cooler issue. I had removed the cooler before the actuator and tested it for leaks which it was fine. But I did notice that when blowing air through it and I flushed it with solvent that there is a fair amount of restriction of flow through it. This causes the return line from the actuator to build. a significant amount of pressure.

Back