Logo

1978 402 mercury outboard help water in carb

Cshaw

Been working on this motor for awhile 2 weeks ago i changed the impeller gave new oil and a new starter solenoid new thermostat
and got the motor fired up and it sounded great and idled really good

now this week i go to fire it up and it idles good for about 3 minutes then shuts off i took of the carb and somehow it is getting water mixed in there
and it is not coming from my fuel tank ive triple checked that just not sure where to look next

any help would be appreciated thanks!

140psi compression on both cylinders

Last edited:
Does your engine still have the water cooled fuel pump? Maybe there is some kind of breach in the pump housing allowing water to enter the fuel system. Disconnect the tell tale discharge line at the pump connection and just hang it outside the lower cowl, start the engine an see if the water problem goes away. I seem to remember the whole premise of the water cooled fuel pump was to stop vapor lock bubbles from forming in the pump during a hot engine shutdown.

Not likely for those two circuits are not connected. Look at your gas supplier--mine was selling 10 % H2O along with gas--and make sure water isn't getting into your fuel tank.

Jeff

Back