Logo

Trying to find out if lower unit will fit fd-19d

Eric O.

I have a Johnson 1965 18hp FD-19D
I m thinking about buying a lower unit off ebay but not sure if it will fit.
Honestly, I am not even sure if my motor is short or long shaft. Any help would be great.

This is what im looking at
0377117 Johnson Evinrude 18hp 25 HP Lower Unit Gear Case Short Shaft 377117 OMC
this come off a 1960 Johnson 18hp FD-14B

Last edited:
Motor was stuck in reverse. finally got around to looking into the problem and the first thing i looked at was the shift linkage...the bolt connecting the upper shift rod was missing. easy 35 cent fix! i do need to, at some point open up the gear casing and check gears and clutch dog because it still falls out of forward 1 time when i put it in gear then after its warmed up i don't seem to have any issues for the rest of the day on the water.

Lower units from about 1957 to 1976 will fit if doing a complete swap.----Driveshaft will simply pull out to swap long and short.----Shift rod depends on whether the 5" extension is on it or not..---

Lower units from about 1957 to 1976 will fit if doing a complete swap.----Driveshaft will simply pull out to swap long and short.----Shift rod depends on whether the 5" extension is on it or not..---

Thanks so much. thats great news. the cost of new gears is more than i feel the motor is worth, but i am willing to try and get lucky buying a lower unit off ebay and hoping the gears on it are worth using.

Your 1965 model is an ideal motor to own.----New parts are readily available.-----Used parts ( parts motors ) are readily available for $100 or less in many areas.------Local chapter of ther ---------aomci-----Is a source for a wealth of information or even to find like minded folks in your area.----I might have some new gears clutch dogs if you are in Canada.

Your 1965 model is an ideal motor to own.----New parts are readily available.-----Used parts ( parts motors ) are readily available for $100 or less in many areas.------Local chapter of ther ---------aomci-----Is a source for a wealth of information or even to find like minded folks in your area.----I might have some new gears clutch dogs if you are in Canada.

I'll have to check out AOMCI. gonna try and get the gear box apart sometime in the coming weeks to see if 1 or both gears or clutch dog is bad.
I live in Kansas, middle of USA.

Back