Logo

DT14C Start and running issues

dbzocchi

I have had this engine a couple of years and have never been able to get it running correctly

Previously It was incredibly hard to start, it would take a good 5 minutes to pull start, it would be easier to start once the engine had been warmed up, while in the garage in water it would reach peak revs in gear, while on the boat it would never reach peak power, except on two occasions where it ran perfectly. and I would occasionally hear a misfire, I assumed it was being starved of something, I checked the carb thoroughly, I replaced the fuel pump, still performed the same, I checked the compression which was fine, i am starting to believe it might be an electric issue, i had a friend of a friend look it over and he replaced the points and a condenser. As of now the engine wont start, does anyone have any ideas where to look or what i can test to try and solve it.

Thanks in advance

Are you getting a spark?
Remove plug and place plug wire back on plug and clamp the plug body to the metal block somewhere. Turn off your garage lights and give the rope a pull. You will know right away if your ignition system is at fault. If you are getting a spark, squirt a little engine starting fluid directly into your spark plug hole, quickly replace spark plug , and give her a few yanks. She should momentarily run then die. If so you know it is a fuel delivery issue.
I have had this engine a couple of years and have never been able to get it running correctly

Previously It was incredibly hard to start, it would take a good 5 minutes to pull start, it would be easier to start once the engine had been warmed up, while in the garage in water it would reach peak revs in gear, while on the boat it would never reach peak power, except on two occasions where it ran perfectly. and I would occasionally hear a misfire, I assumed it was being starved of something, I checked the carb thoroughly, I replaced the fuel pump, still performed the same, I checked the compression which was fine, i am starting to believe it might be an electric issue, i had a friend of a friend look it over and he replaced the points and a condenser. As of now the engine wont start, does anyone have any ideas where to look or what i can test to try and solve it.

Thanks in advance

Back