Logo

1999 Johnson 200 Hp J200PLEEB Not Fully Engaging Reverse.

Paisan

1999 Johnson 200 Hp J200PLEEB Not Fully Engaging Reverse. When reverse is selected the boat moves backwards while the engine "kicks" like it's only half engaging in reverse. The shift rod height appears close. Forward works as it should.

Q? Would you turn the shift rod clockwise or counter a turn or two to (hopefully) fully engage it? TIA

There is no guess work or 'close' on the shift rod. It needs to be an exact height measured from the mid-section mating surface of the gearcase. If this is a 20" engine then I believe the measurement from the middle of the shift rod eye to the top of the gearcase should be 25 1/4". Once you have that set, then you can fiddle with your shift cable linkage to make sure it's centered.

KJ

There is no guess work or 'close' on the shift rod. It needs to be an exact height measured from the mid-section mating surface of the gearcase. If this is a 20" engine then I believe the measurement from the middle of the shift rod eye to the top of the gearcase should be 25 1/4". Once you have that set, then you can fiddle with your shift cable linkage to make sure it's centered.

KJ

Thanks I will play with the linkage. 21 15/16" is the measurement.

Back