Logo

9.9 and 8 hp merc carb problem. anyone run into this?

Dr Don

hey there, my question is I have more then 2 motors that I have run into this and I'm stupped.
2013 motors that keep flooding even after installing now complete oem kits.
fuel keeps getting past the needle some way. you prime the bulb and still floods the motor.
the carbs are like new inside, I still put it in the altrasonic cleaner anyways.
checked all check valves, everything..
I am a marine mechanic and have a buddy marine mechanic that has run into this also.
are we missing something? maybe there's a trick or something?
any help would be appreciated. IMG-4323-cropped.jpgIMG-4324-cropped.jpgIMG-4325-resized.jpg

yes float is new and new needle yes its set properly, but somehow fuel still getting threw. this is not the first time we ran into this and now the carb isno longer available. and the seat looks like new so does the carb.

yes float is new and new needle yes its set properly, but somehow fuel still getting threw. this is not the first time we ran into this and now the carb is no longer available. and the seat looks like new so does the carb.
Are the carb kits OEM or aftermarket?

So you can do this with water and the carb removed. With the carb on the bench level, if you gravity fill it with water and the water comes into the venturi either your float height needs a good look at, your (new) needle is incorrect, the needle is not fitted properly or the needle seat is worn. I personally can’t think of anything else that would cause the problem.

yes i totaly understand like i said everything looks good i did do a bench test and seeded properly.
Been in the biz for 30 years and ever once and a wile you run into this. only thing is i have had about 5 like this and have two in my shop now. thats crazy. Thought that someone would of had some kind of fix that i didin't know about.
ill pull it apart again and look at it and let you know thank you

i think its the float bowl, has a check valve for for the excellerator pump. its on order only $240 lol will see what happens

Back