Logo

Ignition fuse blowing

Bruinut

Hey everyone.
We have a 2005 SeaRay 185 with a mercruiser 4.3L v6 alpha.
one day we were returning from some fairly rough waters and the ignition fuse blew. Next day the fuse kept blowing whether cruising or accelerating. I installed a new ignition coil and a new TKS module, spark plugs are in good shape, plug wires don’t appear to have any cuts, burns or slits in them. Tach is not working so I took the purple ignition wire off it and fuse still blew so I hooked it back up. Followed the purple ignition wire and found no issues with it. Today we went out and she was running fine for about 45 minutes at a cruising speed of 25 mph and then the fuse blew again and again and again. (7times total). Finally got her back to the dock. Does anyone have a clue as to what keeps blowing the ignition fuse all the time?? It happens whether cruising or accelerating and I’m lost. I don’t have experience with electrical issues so any help would be greatly appreciated. What the heck is going on here?😖

if its blowing the ign fuse what accessories are connected to the purple ign wire

as far as I can tell I only seen the purple wire attached to the tach. I will have to go back and check all other components to see where else it may be leading and will get back to you. When you say accessories do you mean lighting, radio, horn, power outlet and things like that or do you also mean engine components as well?

Did you trace the wires back and if so where do they connect?

The Purple wire is power to many things when the key is in the run position.
It powers all your gages and feeds back thru the wire harness to the engine and powers the ignition and choke on carb if its an electric choke.

so there are many components that receive power from the purple wire.

Based on your limited understanding of electrical it may be tough to assist.

One thing you can do is to remove the purple wire from all gages and see if issue goes away.

Something is shorting as it takes a lot to blow a 25 amp fuse.

Be careful. Thats a lot of current.

It may be in your best interest to bring boat to a good service lication and let them sort it out...

Did you trace the wires back and if so where do they connect?

The Purple wire is power to many things when the key is in the run position.
It powers all your gages and feeds back thru the wire harness to the engine and powers the ignition and choke on carb if its an electric choke.

so there are many components that receive power from the purple wire.

Based on your limited understanding of electrical it may be tough to assist.

One thing you can do is to remove the purple wire from all gages and see if issue goes away.

Something is shorting as it takes a lot to blow a 25 amp fuse.

Be careful. Thats a lot of current.

It may be in your best interest to bring boat to a good service lication and let them sort it out...

Thanks. I did locate the wire on different components at the engine and found no slits or cuts anywhere. However I didn’t know it ran so many other things. I may have to bring it somewhere due to my limited electrical experience.

Back