Logo

Evinrude 9.9hp sideways wobble

Snapper Fisho

Regular Contributor
Hi, my 1979 Evinrude 9.9hp short shaft has some sideways wobble of the steering & transom bracket that connects to the exhaust housing but no obvious forward or aft movement. I've been reading that when the upper/lower motor mounts in the exhaust housing fail you will get obvious play in the forward/aft direction.

As mine is lateral/sideways movement, does this still point to faulty motor mounts? Would be grateful for any advice/help from experienced members here as my 15hp Evinrude from 1988 doesn't do this.

I have attached a video of this movement in the link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BbVpqrPdyOMAc6XCNwg6d_by-S6qSSCR/view?usp=sharing

Cheers

Mounts are shot.

They're not cheap.

I suspected this but why is there no issue in the forward/aft motion, which is reported as the main thing to look for with mounts?

Anyway, hope it is the top one only and not bottom. Once I take power head off i guess i will know but it runs fine otherwise.

Before I start this, has anyone done this before. The Phillips head bolts on either side of top of exhaust housing that holds the mount, could they be the problem? The heads are rusted and bolts seized in the housing.

Back