Logo

Check Your Fuel Lines for E10 Damage (not visible on outside)

Old No7

I believe there are 2 groups of boat owners -- those who already HAD had some issues from E10 fuel, and those who WILL someday...

I'm working on my BF130 to sort out some fuel and other problems, but I'll post this as a separate topic as it relates to all gas outboards.

The fuel lines on my 19' Arima Sea Ranger were changed when I got it 10 years ago in 2012 -- replacing the fuel vent line (black), fuel fill line (USCG rated), the line from the tank to fuel/water separator (black) and from the fuel/water separator out to the BF130 (gray). "Black" is 3/8" ID back "below deck" fuel line, while "gray" is 3/8" ID "above deck" fuel line. Since then, they've all been inspected several times each year, and all looked well -- from the outside that is...

While troubleshooting my latest issue, my twin suggested I cut the gray fuel line just before the engine fitting -- as he said it's very common for the E10 gas to soften the plastic liner inside those lines.

Dang if he didn't nail it
-- as this is what the line looked like just before the fuel fitting:

qDgJgG7.jpg

So I cut the line 3" back from that -- and you could only see a little sliver of light through it, as the plastic liner HAD COLLAPSED on itself.

I've now replaced the fuel line from the tank to the fuel/water separator, and the line from there out to the outboard with the heavier (black) "below deck" fuel line (which is about 1/8" larger in diameter than the gray line) and from what I can see -- it has NO LINER in it.

Hope this helps someone out.

Old No7

Last edited:
Back